Monday, November 28, 2005

 

the beginning...




Well - I'm part of the greater blogosphere.

This blog is a bit of a rarity it seems - it is about making fine wood furniture and cabinets. I can't find much about such things on the net - if anyone reads this and knows of other blogs like this, let me know.

This blog is for my clients, friends and anyone else interested in making beautiful furniture and cabinets of wood. It is a passion and a dream.

I started, as most of us do, working with my Dad - building furniture, toys and such. I guess I really started working in earnest with him when I was about 7 or 8 - or about 50 years ago. I remember well the first "real" piece we did together - a chest of drawers for my brother and I. We had that for a long time - until we got separate bedrooms, then my brother got it for his bedroom. My Dad and I made a desk, chest of drawers and blanket chest for my bedroom.

He did a lot of his work on a ShopSmith. A good deal of my work is done with hand tools, though I'm a total Festool guy as well. I use what ever does the best job the quickest.

I just finished an armoire today for a young man, 2 1/2 years old. He thought the best part was the closet where he could go hide - I just wish I could fit in!!

This armoire is made of Red Oak with Granadillo pulls. It is about 36"w X 42"h X 16"d. The drawers have nice hand-cut half-blind dovetails. The frame is mortise and tenon construction. The finish is hand rubbed and polished to a nice satiny gloss. My guess is that this young man's grandchildren will will it to their children... or at least I hope so.

Tomorrow it is back to work on the Leopard Wood and Mahogany bath cabinets.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]