Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Shaving horse work



I worked on the chair some more today - it finally stopped raining enough for me to set up my shaving horse outside [I can use it inside, but it is so much more enjoyable to use it outdoors!].

It is a 16th or 17th century, depending on who one reads, tool that has seem little improvement in the hundreds of years of it’s existence. Mine is built in the traditional way - no metal parts - though the bicycle tube on the holdfast may not be entirely traditional, it is easier for me to find than wet leather]. I will use it often as I rebuild this chair

I use it for many things whilst building a chair - this time I used it to shave down the leg tenons a bit so they fit the holes for them I the seat. Tim always leaves them a tad oversize, as he should, and the shaving horse, with a spokeshave is a fast and easy way to size them.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]