Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

52 Mortices -52 Tenons




I haven’t been blogging because I’ve been working until late getting the back desk portion of the reception kiosk finished. It is taking a bit longer than I thought.

The weather is making it difficult. I cut pieces only to have them check or split or cup or -----. It is harder when one is in a hurry - wood doesn’t understand it only knows it is very humid.

There are 52 mortices and 52 tenons on the desk. I cut them with my router and it is very efficient. Then comes the fit up. It takes a long time. Wonder why the junk stuff doesn’t use mortise and tenon joints - they take time and lots of work -and a little know how to boot. But they look good today and will look good in say 25 years or 50 years or more. They are strong and will stay that way. Quality shows. It is the only way I know how to work. It somehow feeds that part of me that knows the good stuff and loves to make beautiful, quality pieces.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]