Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

Et incipio...

The beginning of a project is always interesting to me - even the grandest projects start with modest beginnings. This cabinet side, one of four, looks quite pedestrian at this point. I have just glued up three pieces of Alder to make one side. As you can see from the end closest to the camera, the boards are a bit uneven at the ends and there are some serious knots and blems that will not be in the final piece.


I’ll leave these in the clamps for at least 4 hours - often overnight before breaking them out. I’ll then rough cut them for size [avoiding the blems] and them plane them for thickness. These will have dovetail joints at the top. The set of doors will be a custom frosted glass - a unique feature, and will really help to set off the piece.


You can see from the plans these [there are two identical cabinets] will be unique and beautiful pieces of furniture - very functional as well.

I’ll have some more pix later of the chair, which is in the clamps now and will be refinished tomorrow, and I have one image of the cabinets I built for the folks in Sebastopol.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]