Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

The end of the beginning...

All of the pieces are cut to final size and joinery is the task at hand. A few of the pieces may need to be recut if they rack or warp or cup or split or ??? But, with luck, they'll all be just peachy.

I include making holes for the shelf pins as part of the joinery as it is a task requiring meticulous attention to detail - no one wants shelves that rock.

My FesTool Guide Rail and router work really well for making the Euro spaced holes [32 mm on center]. I developed my own fixture for the stops and find that it works at least as well as the one you can buy. It is also faster [and substantially less expensive] and you can see the work area [that means fewer mistakes -- hopefully]. The two images below show how it all works - I think it's pretty slick.



As soon as I finish with this task, I’ll start on the side and top joinery for the bottom section- I’m still debating what will look best and provide long lasting strength. I’m leaning to a tenoned or doweled miter for the top of the bottom section and a rabbeted and doweled joint for the bottom... we’ll see.

Comments:
tenon for the top of the bottom old boy.I am curious to see a doweled miter?

Brian
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]