Monday, February 26, 2007

 

A little bit old, a little bit new...

The bench is moving closer to completion.

Here you see why I like my FesTool Trion jigsaw so much. I don’t own a band saw, and to date, haven’t felt any need for one with this jig saw around.


Notice the smooth cut - amazingly smooth and consistent. And at the end, there may be a couple of thimble-fulls of saw dust from the underside of the cut that the vac didn’t catch. And my jig saw will cut up to 100 - 125 mm easily and plumb - no bending.

And once in a while I have to go back to my “Neanderthal” days -- when I built furniture without the help of my “tailed apprentices”. There is something very satisfying in planning and surfacing a rough board. The plane is from Steve Knight up in Portland and the winding sticks are from Lee Valley. A great combo for me. I do own a planner - and use it often, but it is a 13” DeWalt and a lot of my pieces are much wider. I do thickness them often to start, but didn’t feel like it this time. It is good to know that the old ways are still in my hands.



I think that is one reason I like my FesTools so much - they quickly become an extension of me, just like my hand tools - only much faster and more efficient.

Tomorrow or the next day - Domino will be featured joining all the pieces into a bench.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]