Tuesday, February 27, 2007

 

Wow! Domino in action!

Today I cut the mortises for the gussets -- both leg side and top side. I learned a bunch about Domino.

First, cutting mortises after marking them, even on an irregular piece like the gusset for this bench, is a breeze - truly fast and easy. Much like you would cut a biscuit, but with the see through top and hairline centering marks, totally a breeze.


For the gusset, I used different depths for a 8 X 40 tenon -- 15 mm in the top and leg side and 25 in the end grain on the gusset. Incredibly precise , really fast - even though I am way up on the learning curve.



Doing the mortises on the legs started off a little tricky. I thought I would need to test some pieces to make sure the center-line of the joiner matched the center-line of the mortises. Fortunately, while I was setting up for the test, I saw this little mark on the right side of Domino’s base. Hmm, I thought - could that be a centerline mark? Looks pretty close and after I tested it - I found out it was. Setting up for a cut in the middle of a slab is now, mostly, a layout issue. The simple straight edge that I used was quite sufficient for the task. The mortises all lined up perfectly.


Even being so far up on the learning curve, it took a small fraction of the time to do a conventional mortise.

Layout, because Domino is so precise, must be done carefully and using a sharp pencil. Once the layout is done, the actual cutting of the mortises is almost anti-climactic.

This is truly one of those tools that changes the way you work and think about projects!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]