Wednesday, March 28, 2007

 

Bad wood

I got some wood - birch and mahogany, today. I rough cut it to size and laid it on my work/assembly table and went up and did some paper work. When I came down this afternoon - it was racked, cupped and warped beyond usability.

My supplier is only about 10 miles from here and the wood is supposedly kiln dried. I called him and he will, of course, take it back. But it is disturbing to see this and it happens more often today.

One needs to let the wood rest for a while and see how it is going to move. Better on my work bench - or yours, than on a clients furniture or cabinets.

Comments:
Brian-

You're right! Once its done, it all looks good!

Expensive firewood though.

I took the piece back to my supplier and he gave me a replacement - no charge and said he would make it up to me next time. Can't do much better than that!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]