Monday, March 05, 2007

 

Cruisin' with my Domino...

I truly cruised along making this bench with Domino - even allowing for my novice status with Domino. It isn’t a particularly hard project without Domino - just time consuming with all the m & t work, a bit tricky making the mortises for the bench top through tenons, mostly a layout issue. With Domino, it is really a simple task - making the mortise and tenon joints is almost trivial. It’s precision allows you a real freedom in making strong joints quickly and easily - even with a first timer like me.

I showed making the m & t for the leg gussets in my earlier posts. Here I made the mortises on the leg. I used the depth setting and marked the location on both the leg and top and then cut them on the leg first.




Here I dry fit the mortises and tenons cut so far.


Using my FesTool OF 1400 and the Guide Stop with fine adjuster, I made the large through tenon mortises on the legs. The micro-adjust feature made this a quick and accurate task.



As I’ve mentioned, the layout is critical for making the pieces fit properly - and the fit is tight, very precise - and very doable with Domino.

As you can see here, the “jig” I'm using is simply a straight-edge for the Doimino to set up.


It is very stable and with the see-through view port and hairline alignment marking you just make sure Domino is butted up against the straight-edge and aligned with the mark, and make the mortise. Aligning Domino along the right cut line is easily done using the alignment mark shown here. It marks the center-line of the mortise - can’t get any better than that.


After I cut the mortises, I inserted the tenons and dry fit up the entire bench.


Nothing left but to glue it up and finish it.


This bench is part of my line of “Neo-Classical Country Antiques” -- it will be finished using Stain and Milk Paint and this one will have a small amount of distressing. The total work time, including sanding - which is made easier by being able to sand all flat pieces, is something under 6 hours. This would be a nice project for a weekend made possible by using Domino. The finished dimensions are 36”L X 16”D X 18”H. It is very strong and should last the requisite 100 years that I like to aim for when I make furniture.

If you get the idea that I like Domino, you are absolutely right. It is a real step forward in the evolution on woodworking. This is one of those tools that truly does change everything.

Comments:
It looks great! :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]