Friday, April 13, 2007

 

Vanity carcases

I started cutting the vanity carcases today. With my FesTool Guide rails [2 1400 mm] put together, cutting sheet goods is a breeze. It takes almost as long to work up a cutting diagram to get the most out of each sheet as it does to actually cut the sheets.

This is two sheets, now ready for dadoing and mortising. I have one more to do on Monday.


It is as simple as looking at the diagram, marking each end and cut, repeat for another piece. Including pulling the sheets from the stack and putting them on the cutting table, each sheet only takes about 15 minutes to reduce down to individual pieces. For me it is much easier than wrassling them on a table saw, even one with a nice big sled. And I certainly don’t have room for one of those. Also, the FesTool saw is safer, IMO.

I will start assembling the carcases using my Domino over the weekend. It will be the first cabinets I’ve made using Domino, and I’m looking forward to putting it through it’s paces. My experience thus far tells me that this will be a precise and fast joining into the final carcases, ready for the face frames. I will do a little dadoing as well. I’ll try and get some pix up over the weekend some time.

Comments:
I can't wait to see how Domino works on these! And, btw, every time I hear you use the name, I think of that Van Morrison song.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]