Wednesday, May 02, 2007

 

Domino Drawers

I got to wondering if I could make drawers using my Domino. The edges are quite precise. The M & T joints are very strong. Why not I thought. So I did. I really like them. They are very strong, well constructed and seem to be an all around good drawer. And, they were easy and fast to make. I usually use dovetails, either cut by hand or with a router and jig, depending on the project, and am quite pleased with how these drawers look and how strong the joint is and how fast they go together. I love dovetails, and they are the method of choice for high end drawers, but the Domino Drawers work very well for more production oriented projects. And the tenoned drawers look very cool.

Here is a picture of a drawer side right after I cut the through mortises with Domino. There are three different sized drawers, this on shows one with two mortises. I used up to 4 Domino tenons per joint depending on the size of the drawer.

The indexing pins on Domino made postioning the mortises easy, so I only measured and marked one of the drawers. I really didn’t need to that even, but old habits die hard.

Here you can see one of the drawers after it has been glued. A good clean joint - very strong as well.


Here is one of the drawers during glue up. One of the things I like about the Domino joints is that the tear-out issues using a dovetail jig are non-existent. Mortising the end pieces to fit the sides was really a no-brainer with the indexing pins.


Here is a stack of DomiDrawers!


This is one incredible tool! It really changes with way you build.

Next, I'll be finishing up some of the birch cabinet doors later this week - if the wood will stay still!! so far it is looking good!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]