Wednesday, May 07, 2008

 

Chair repair

I'm working on an antique chair to repair the back. It is one of the toughest pieces I've ever worked on.

The wood is brittled and suffused with super glue from earlier repair attempts and age.


Here I'm working to very carefully carve away the old glue. It takes a long time, because I don't want to remove any wood and not have the pieces fit properly.




Later, I drilled out the pins and replaced them with solid wood pins.

The chair has been broken before - the rails are of a different material and there are many pieces that are cracked and broken. You might be able to fool some folks, but you can't fool your chariwright ;-). I wonder what happened to the chair that caused it to be broken this way. My client hasn't had the set for very long and she has not idea how it came to be that way.

I really enjoy working on pieces like these and often wonder at the stories they could tell...maybe I should write a book about them.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]